Sights > Greek Catholic Catedral of the Holy Trinity
The Greek Catholic Cathedral of The Holy Trinity, the seat of the Eparchy of Križevci, is an exceptionally valuable monument. In the same site once stood the Augustinian monastery, which was later handed over to the Franciscans. In 1777 empress Maria Theresa and Pope Pio VI made Križevci the seat of the Eparchy. It was only in 1801 that the Baroque architecture was adjusted to meet the needs of the Bishop's Residence and the Byzantine liturgy. The church changed its appearance in the period between 1895 and 1897. The internal reconstruction was performed in the Gothic revival style by the famous Zagreb architect, Herman Bolle, who also carried out the restoration of the Zagreb Cathedral's facade. Of special interest to all visitors to the Cathedral is the iconostasis painted by some of the most famous Croatian painters from late 19th and early 20th century (Bela Čikoš Sesija, Ivan Tišov, Ferdo Kovačević, Celestin Mato Medović).The head of the Catholic Church, the Pope, often mentions The Eastern Catholic Church, as well as the Križevci Cathedral in his speeches. The Križevci Cathedral is the seat of the only Greek Catholic Eparchy in Croatia and this part of Europe.
The icons on the iconostasis do not resemble the Byzantine Icons. They are characterized by the late 19th century realist western-style painting. It is an exceptionally valuable monument in terms of the blending of different styles and the richness of its heritage including some great works of painters, architects, and other artists. The Bishop's Residence keeps a valuable library containing not only books, but also the incunabulas. Apart from a little museum exhibiting some valuable liturgical objects, lamps, portraits of the rulers, and stylized furniture, visitors may also see the Consistorial Hall with the portraits of all Greek Catholic Bishops.Julije Drohobeczky (1853 - 1934), the well-known patron of artists, and a Greek Catholic Bishop in Križevci in the period between 1892 and 1920, initiated the reconstruction of the Cathedral in the Gothic revival style (carried out by Hermann Bolle), bringing together the best painters of late 19th and early 20th century who painted the iconostasis.
The Library of the Greek Catholic Eparchy contains some precious historic materials which should be safeguarded so they wouldn't be forgotten or ruined. Yet, the public knows little or nothing about these materials or the library itself. The library occupies the first floor of the east wing of the Bishop's Residence. A catalogue of books and manuscripts with the numbers denoting the place of each book on the shelf is also preserved. The catalogue lists 5000 books dating from the 15th to the 20th century, which are stored in the Library. Most of the books date from the 18th or 19th century, but there are also 42 books dating from the 16th century, around 180 dating from the 17th century, and there are also about 70 manuscripts, as well as a rich collection of dictionaries. One incunabula which is listed in the catalogue couldn't be found in the collection.The Library of the Greek Catholic Eparchy of Križevci proves that the monuments of great historic value can be found even in a small town. Future arranging and preserving the Library's collection lies in the hands of the younger generation.
The books are related to the Church History, theology, Dogma, legal subjects, language, Breviaries, and the eastern and western rites. There are also about 500 books belonging to the personal collection of Bishop Janko Šimrak. The books are written in Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Old Slavic, German, Hungarian, Croatian, etc. The most frequent authors include Aristotle, Aurelius Augustine, Immanuel Kant, Voltaire, Martin Luther, Antun Kanižlić, Ivan Gundulić, Josip Ruđer Bošković, etc. The books are placed on the shelves and bookcases designed by professor Podhorski during Šimrak's bishopric. One of the oldest and most valuable books from the collection must be Missalum Zagrebiensis dating from 1506, and printed in Venice (containing printed and hand written paragraphs). Another significant work is worth a mention- the 11- language dictionary (Latin, Greek, Hebrew, English, German, etc.) Ambrosii Calepini dictionarium undecem linguarum (1627).